This recipe for Mediterranean barley salad is easy to prepare and is bursting with a menagerie of intense flavors. Tender grains and vegetables are infused with smoky cumin and spicy sweet cardamom before being dressed in a cool, creamy bath of tahini yogurt sauce and pops of refreshing pomegranate seeds.
This Mediterranean barley salad recipe has it all! This dish comes complete with smoky spices, tender grains, sauteed veggies, fresh herbs, and a divinely delicious sauce. It is also one of those recipes that will fill you up without slowing you down.
You are going to love the way that the cooling tahini sauce complements the sweet, warm earthiness of the barley and sauteed veggies. Top off your Mediterranean barley salad with a handful of plump pomegranate seeds and freshly toasted pine nuts and get ready to swoon!
Table of Contents
- Tahini Yogurt Sauce – This satiny smooth sauce is a simple combination of rich Greek yogurt, bright lemon, sweet mint, earthy tahini, salt, and pepper. It adds a cooling, creamy element that beautifully compliments the warmer flavors in the dish.
- Pearl Barley – Also labeled as pearled barley, this quick-cooking variety of barley has had the outer husk and bran removed. It has a mild flavor and soft texture.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is ideal for Mediterranean cooking. In a pinch, however, you can use an oil like canola, grapeseed, or avocado instead.
- Veggies – Carrots and snow peas are expertly seasoned and sauteed until perfectly tender.
- Spices – This Mediterranean barley salad recipe boasts an all-star line-up of spices including lemony coriander, smoky cumin, and spicy-sweet cardamom.
- Garnishes – Sweet toasted pine nuts, tart pomegranate seeds, cool mint leaves, and silky tahini sauce turn ordinary barley salad into a mouthwatering Mediterranean masterpiece.
- Make the Tahini Yogurt Sauce. Combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint leaves, tahini, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and blended and set aside.
- Boil the Barley. Place a large pot with salted water over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the pearled barley. Return to a boil and continue cooking for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Drain & Toss. Drain the cooked barley well and then transfer to a large bowl. Gently toss with 2 teaspoons of chopped mint leaves and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt as desired, cover to keep warm, and set the bowl aside.
- Cut the Carrots. While the barley boils, you can prepare the veggies. Start by trimming and then chopping the carrots into uniform pieces. I like to start by halving them crosswise and then cutting those pieces in half lengthwise.
- Cook the Carrots. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Let it get hot enough to just start smoking. Toss in the chopped carrots and ½ teaspoon of coriander. Saute the carrots until they are lightly charred and tender, usually about 5-7 minutes. Make sure you are occasionally stirring throughout.
- Add Veggies & Spices. Now you can add in the snow peas, cumin, cardamom, salt, and the remainder of the coriander. Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes, until spotty brown, then transfer to the bowl with the cooked barley.
- Toast the Pine Nuts. Carefully use a paper towel to wipe out the skillet you just used to cook the vegetables. Return the skillet to heat and add in the pine nuts. Stirring constantly, cook them for around 2 minutes, or until they turn a nice golden brown. Set aside.
- Toss the Salad. Give the barley and roasted vegetable mixture a thorough tossing to evenly mix. Transfer Mediterranean barley salad to a large serving platter or divide it into individual serving bowls.
- Garnish & Serve. Generously drizzle tahini yogurt sauce over the top, followed by a sprinkling of pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and mint leaves.
No. Since this Mediterranean barley salad recipe uses pearl barley, there is no need to soak prior to cooking.
However, if you are cooking hulled or whole-grain barley, go ahead and soak your grains for a few hours.
This dish can be enjoyed on its own as a snack or light meal, and it also makes an excellent side dish for tons of different dishes.
Pair this Mediterranean barley salad recipe with Greek Yogurt Chicken, Marinated Tahini Chicken, or any of your favorite chicken dishes.
Barley salad also goes great with lamb dishes like Lamb Shawarma or these Greek Lamb Meatballs.
When kept in an airtight container, Mediterranean barley salad will last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you know you’ll have leftovers, you can keep the warm and cold ingredients separate until you plan on eating them again. Then you can easily reheat the grains and add the drizzle and garnishes.
Alternatively, you can assemble all the ingredients before storage and enjoy this dish cold.
Share this recipe on Pinterest!
Love this recipe? Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Mediterranean Barley Salad
Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- Tahini Yogurt Sauce (see above)
- Mint leaves
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, mint, tahini, water, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring 6 cups of salted water to boil in large pot. Add barley and return to boil. Cook until tender, 20 minutes. Drain barley, transfer to bowl with the 2 teaspoons of mint and 2 tablespoons olive oil, tossing to combine. Cover to keep warm. Season with salt to taste.
- While barley cooks, trim and halve carrots crosswise, then halve or quarter lengthwise to create uniformly sized pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add carrots and ½ teaspoon coriander and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in snow peas, salt, cumin, cardamom, remaining ½ teaspoon coriander and cook until spotty brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with barley.
- Using paper towel, wipe clean now-empty skillet. Add pine nuts and toast to golden brown, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Toss the barley roasted vegetable mixture to combine and pour onto platter or individual bowls. Drizzle tahini yogurt sauce all over, sprinkle with pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, mint leaves, and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.