Turkish Sweet Roasted Chickpeas are the addictive, crispy, exotic, and flavorful snack you have been waiting for. Don’t miss this recipe!
Whether you are trying to eat a little bit healthier or just love a little bit of crunch, this is for you! Once you learn how to roast chickpeas, you will be able to make them all the time and always have them on hand.
The reason why I love Turkish chickpeas is that the combination of the seasonings is out of this world! Made with my Turkish Spice Blend, a combination of sumac, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, Turkish bay leaf, oregano, peppercorns, and toasted cumin. As you can imagine, they are aromatic and next to impossible to resist. Add a little sugar to the mix and wow!
Ingredients To Make Turkish Sweet Roasted Chickpeas
- Chickpeas - Also known as garbanzo beans, they are the key ingredient! They are a powerhouse of nutrients and filled with protein, folate, iron, manganese, and more.
- Olive Oil - The oil is needed to get them nice and crispy. You could swap it for coconut oil, but make sure to use refined, or they will taste like coconut.
- Spice Blend - As I mentioned earlier, you will use an incredible spice blend that is bound to please your taste buds. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make too.
How To Roast Chickpeas
1. Heat the oven and prepare the garbanzo beans.
Dry the beans using a towel, making sure that the liquid has all been removed. Then combine the spices, sugar and olive oil in a bowl. Add the beans to the bowl and mix well until they are all coated.
2. Roast in the oven.
Add the garbanzo beans to a baking sheet. Roast them in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Halfway through, shake the pan, so they cook evenly. Remove them from the pan and let them cool for a few minutes, then devour!
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t overcook them. When you overcook the sweet roasted chickpeas, they can go from fabulous to dry dust that isn’t appetizing.
- Never use too high of heat. I get it; we all get in a hurry sometimes and think shortcuts are the answer. In my experience, if you cook them too hot, they will dry out and be hard to eat.
- Store them for later. You can make a batch or two and store them in an airtight food container. They will last for days unless you eat them all right away like I normally do.
You can eat these sweet roasted chickpeas as a simple snack when you are on the go or add them to your favorite recipes. Here are a few ideas to try out.
- Salad - Love salad and looking for something extra? Add some on top for a fun and flavorful crunch!
- Sandwiches - If you get bored of eating the same lame sandwiches, turn it up a notch! Sprinkle a few on right before munching for an explosion of flavor. It can take anything from boring to incredible.
- Pizza - Yep, I said it! They are the BEST pizza topping ever. Because they taste so good and the texture is amazing, you can’t go wrong. Try it and see for yourself.
- Soup - Toss some on top of your favorite soup or stew. Sweet roasted chickpeas are a lovely garnish but also enhance the way it tastes too.
Turkish Sweet Roasted Chickpeas
- 3½ cups cooked chickpeas (See Note 1)
- 3 tsp olive oil (divided)
- 3 tbsp Turkish Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 2 tbsp flatleaf parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place a rimmed baking tray in the oven to heat as you prep the chickpeas.
- Dry the cooked, rinsed and drained chickpeas on a towel. Rub to dry any excess water and allow to air dry for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl mix with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, Turkish spice blend, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to coat evenly.
- Place chickpeas in a single layer on the heated baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. After 1 hour, do not remove from oven, but turn oven OFF and LEAVE in oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, and toss with remaining teaspoon of olive oil, remaining teaspoon of kosher salt and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- These may be stored in an airtight container for 1 week, but they never last that long in my house (and lose their crispiness I find).
- If not cooking your chickpeas from scratch, feel free to use 2-15 ounce cans, drained.
*The information shown below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.