This classic Moroccan spice blend is a traditional seasoning used in Moroccan and Middle Eastern cuisine. Make it at home to add its bold flavor to your favorite recipes.
What's in Moroccan spice blend?
This is a beautiful mixture of seven warm, ground spices that include black pepper, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and nutmeg. An exotic and tasty blend for seasoning and dry rubs.
I love using spices which allow you to pack in the flavor without adding calories or fat! This is why I really stress the importance of keeping a well stocked spice pantry.
I love to use whole spices and gently dry toast them to bring out their essential oils, then grind them (in the image below I'm showing all the ingredients in whole form).
You could do that for this, excluding the ginger root of course, but to keep things easy for you, use ground spices for this one.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Note: This is just a partial list of ingredients. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Black Pepper - Ground black pepper imparts an intense aroma, depth, and heat to foods.
- Cinnamon - Ground cinnamon is wonderful in baked goods and desserts, but adds earthy flavors to meat and curries and is essential in making spice blends.
- Ground Ginger - Ginger is characterized by its unique combination of lemon/citrus, slightly peppery and sweet, with a pungent and spicy aroma. It is warming to taste.
- Green Cardamom - Green cardamom has sweet floral and herbal notes, while black cardamom has a deep smokey flavor with a hint of menthol. I'm using green in this blend.
Combine spices in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
Store in an airtight container up to 6 months. This makes a little over half a cup total.
Uses for Moroccan seasoning
This Moroccan seasoning is fantastic in lentils, stews, marinades and dry rubs and often times I sprinkle it in the water before steaming my rice or couscous.
If you like this spice blend, check out my essential Middle Eastern spices page to see even more!
Moroccan Spice Blend
- ⅓ cup ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon clove
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine spices in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk. If using a coarser black pepper, place all the ingredients in a spice grinder (or a clean coffee bean grinder) and grind until blended and powdered.
- Store in an airtight container up to 6 months. This makes a little over half a cup total.
*The information shown below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.