Greek Beans (Gigantes Plaki)
This Greek beans dish features creamy butter beans (also known as lima beans) baked in a rich, tomato-based sauce. Make a batch of Gigantes Plaki for a delicious and healthy Mediterranean side or meatless main dish!
- 1 lb dried gigantes beans (See Note 1)
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions (2 large onions)
- ½ cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
Place the dried beans in a deep bowl and cover with cool water by 2 inches. Cover the bowl with a light kitchen towel and all the Greek beans to soak overnight.
After soaking, drain and rinse the beans. Place in a stockpot with enough water to cover them by an inch and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain.
Transfer the beans into a large mixing bowl along with tomatoes, garlic, onions, celery, herbs, spices, olive oil and water. Stir to combine.
Pour into a 9x13" baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 90 minutes. Remove the foil and cook, uncovered, another 30 minutes.
Stir, then serve with crumbled feta cheese on top (or stirred in) and chopped parsley for garnish.
- Gigante beans are giant butter beans (also known as giant lima beans). You can substitute with traditional sized dry lima or butter beans if you wish. If you use precooked beans rather than dried, start with step 3 of the recipe instructions.
Serving: 0.5cup | Sodium: 734mg | Calcium: 165mg | Vitamin C: 8mg | Vitamin A: 376IU | Sugar: 4g | Fiber: 7g | Potassium: 850mg | Cholesterol: 7mg | Calories: 331kcal | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fat: 20g | Protein: 11g | Carbohydrates: 29g | Iron: 5mg