Instant Pot Chana Masala Recipe
This authentic Chana Masala Recipe is quick, delicious, and packed with healthy Indian spices and seasonings. Make it in less than an hour!
- 3 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 medium red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 3 small Serrano chilies or other fresh green chile, seeded and diced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned or fresh (See Note 2)
- 2 tbsp chana masala powder (See Note 3)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala seasoning optional
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup dried chickpeas or canned (See Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro
- naan or other flatbread of choice
Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode and add ghee/oil. Sauté the red onion, ginger, garlic and green chile. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chana masala spice blend, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, salt, drained chickpeas and 1 1/2 cups water, stir well.
Cover and set Instant Pot to Bean/Chili mode. Cook with vent in sealing position for for 35 minutes for soaked chickpeas, or 10 minutes for canned.When done, allow a Natural Release of pressure for 20 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure. Remove pressure cooker lid.
If you prefer a thicker gravy, use back of a spoon or potato masher to mash some of the chickpeas to thicken the curry.
Add dried fenugreek leaves and dry mango powder. Change the Instant Pot setting to Sauté mode and let mixture boil for 5 minutes to reduce.
Serve with garnish of chopped cilantro, lime wedges and warm naan.
- Chickpea options
- Canned chickpeas: You will need two 15-ounce cans of chickpeas for this recipe.
- Dried chickpeas (soaked): Rinse 1 cup dried chickpeas in sieve under tap water.
Place chickpeas in a bowl and cover with 3 cups water. Soak for 4 hours (minimum) or up to overnight. Drain, rinse and proceed with Step 2 of instructions, above.
- Dried chickpeas (quick soak method): Rinse 1 cup dried chickpeas in sieve under tap water.
Place 1 cup dried chickpeas in the Instant Pot with 3 cups water. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Release any remaining pressure and remove lid. Drain and rinse the beans in a colander, and proceed with Step 2 of instructions, above.
- If using fresh Roma tomatoes, removing skins is optional.
To remove the tomato skins, cut a small X on the opposite end of the stem side. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for 3 minutes, then transfer to ice water bath to stop the cooking.
Using a paring knife, peel back the skin from the X cut, discard the skins and dice the tomatoes.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 223mg | Potassium: 635mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 257IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 5mg