Malaysian Braised Short Ribs
These Malaysian braised short ribs are prepared with a special curry powder and slow cooked in a spicy and citrus coconut curry sauce.
Coconut Curry Sauce
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 lemon grass ends trimmed and chopped
- 2 red Fresno chiles or jalapenos seeds removed
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger paste See Note 1
- 2 13.5- oz. cans coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Malaysian Curry Powder See Note 2
- 1 cup cilantro leaves for garnish
- Fresh limes for serving sliced
Rub Malaysian Curry Powder spice blend on all sides of each short rib, pressing to adhere. Allow to rest for 1 hour or overnight covered and refrigerated.
In a food processor or blender add garlic, lemon grass, chiles, shallot and ginger and purée until broken down and chopped well. Add curry powder and coconut milk. Process for 1-2 minutes, it will not be completely smooth.
Allow short ribs to come to room temperature. In a large Dutch oven add the oil and brown short ribs on all sides.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Pour coconut curry sauce over browned short ribs and cover. Bake for 3 hours. After 1 hour check to see that liquid level is at least half way up on short ribs and add water if needed. Spoon sauce over short ribs, cover and continue braising.
If using bone in short ribs, remove bone and discard. Serve beef short ribs over steamed rice and top with cilantro and lime slices.
- If you can’t find ginger paste, substitute 2″ piece of ginger, peeled, chopped.
- Feel free to substitute any curry powder, but my Malaysian Curry Powder spice blend is perfect for this.
Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 1122mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 9mg