Rajma Chawal (Bean Curry with Rice)
Rajma chawal is a popular Indian masala curry made with kidney beans and served with rice. Make this rajma recipe in just 40 minutes!
- 1 large white onion quartered
- 3 serrano chiles quartered
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 8 oz tomato passata or tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garam masala seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- 28 oz red kidney beans (See Note 1)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- cilantro chopped (for garnish)
Puree the onion, chili and water in a blender until a loose paste is formed.
In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt the ghee and pour in the onion puree. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until it turns a dark golden brown and thickens to a paste, stirring often.
Turn the heat to medium and add the ginger and garlic, stirring to cook for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato passata, garam masala, cumin and fenugreek leaves. Stir in the beans and the liquid, season with salt and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with chopped cilantro on top. I like this with warm naan and steamed rice.
- I use canned kidney beans and their liquid. If you want to make beans from scratch, use 3 ½ cups dried, soaked and cooked kidney beans along with 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- This recipe was previously published on my other food site, Kevin Is Cooking, as Red Kidney Bean Curry with Lamb, dated March 2014. I have since updated the cooking technique and omitted ground lamb from the recipe.
Sodium: 316mg | Calcium: 84mg | Vitamin C: 14mg | Vitamin A: 339IU | Sugar: 5g | Fiber: 17g | Potassium: 1134mg | Cholesterol: 29mg | Calories: 398kcal | Saturated Fat: 7g | Fat: 13g | Protein: 19g | Carbohydrates: 55g | Iron: 7mg