- 2 lbs red bell peppers (See Note 1)
- 1 cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup olive oil divided
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp Aleppo chile flakes (See Note 2)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (See Note 3)
- 1 ½ tbsp pomegranate molasses (See Note 4)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp walnuts chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
Toast the 1 cup + 2 tablespoons for walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Separate and set aside.
Roasted Peppers: If using jarred, roasted red bell peppers go to Step 3 below, if making from scratch preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and oil the peppers. Place on baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, or until softened and charred. Turn once during roasting. Remove from oven, place in a bowl and cover with towel and cool for 15 minutes. When cooled, remove and discard the skin, seed and stems. You should have 14 ounces total weight.
In a skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons oil and saute the onion until browned, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin and chile flakes. Cook another minute. Spoon into a food processor along with the roasted peppers, 1 tablespoon of oil, breadcrumbs, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process for 30 seconds and then add 1 cup toasted walnuts. Process again for another 30 seconds to keep chunky.
- Feel free to use jarred, drained roasted red bell peppers. I find them in 12 ounce jars at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, your local market or online. Use 14 ounces for this recipe, so buy 2 jars.
- If you can 't find Aleppo chile flakes, substitute 1 teaspoon of red chile pepper flakes.
- You can substitute an equal amount of ground almonds.
- Pomegranate Molasses can be found in most Whole Food Stores or Persian and Middle Eastern food markets and online for ordering. You can also substitute with the following: Fresh Pomegranate Seeds, Pomegranate Juice + Sugar, Lemon or Lime Juice + Sugar or Lemon Juice + Honey.
*The information shown below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 821mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 7612IU | Vitamin C: 297mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 4mg