Instant Pot Lamb Stew (Dal Gosht)
This Instant Pot lamb stew is an Indian curry of tender meat and lentils in rich gravy. Make dal gosht in only 40 minutes with this recipe!
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 red onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped (or 14 oz can chopped)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder (mirchi powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ lbs lamb shoulder cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 ½ cups split chickpea lentils (chana dal, See Note 1)
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 8 mint leaves chopped
Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting and heat the oil. When oil is hot, add onions and saute until browned and slightly crispy, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, tomatoes and spices. Stir to combine and cook another 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, the lamb and lentils and stir again. Close and seal the pressure cooker lid, Change to the Meat/Stew setting and adjust time to 25 minutes, or manually set it to cook for 25 minutes at high pressure.
When cook time is up, perform a quick release of pressure and open the pot. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Stir the stew to combine, then taste and season with salt if needed (See Note 2).
Garnish with chopped cilantro, mint, and lemon slices (optional). Serve hot with steamed rice and warm naan.
- Red lentils may be substituted for the split chickpea lentils.
- If stew is too thick, thin with milk or water to desired consistency.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 944mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 396IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 6mg