Greek Chicken Souvlaki + Video
Chicken Souvlaki is a grilled Greek recipe made with a simple marinade and a handful of Mediterranean seasonings. Grill it up in 10 minutes!
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts boneless skinless, cubed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (juiced, 3 tbsp)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and transfer to gallon size zip top food storage bag.
Mix together the above Marinade ingredients or try my Mediterranean chicken marinade and pour over chicken. Squeeze air out of bag and seal. Toss chicken to coat and transfer to refrigerator to marinate for 45 minutes to an hour (See Note 1).
Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto metal skewers. Leave some space between the pieces, don't pack too closely together (See Note 2).
Preheat grill to medium-high. Clean and oil your grill to prevent food from sticking.
Cook the skewers of chicken souvlaki for 8-10 minutes, turning until golden brown on all sides. Baste at least once with reserved marinade, being sure to discard any leftover marinade. Chicken is done cooking when food thermometer reads 163°F (chicken will continue to cook as it rests). Allow chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Heat pita on grill to warm up and soften, if desired.
Serve souvlaki pita with grilled chicken, tomatoes, onion slices, authentic tzatziki, then squeeze lemon on top.
- Chicken should not marinate for longer than an hour. Otherwise, the proteins will start to break down resulting in a mushy texture.
- I use metal skewers, but if using wooden ones, cut long wooden skewers to fit your grill or grill pan. Soak them soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent the wood from burning.
Sodium: 347mg | Calcium: 48mg | Vitamin C: 23mg | Vitamin A: 338IU | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 804mg | Cholesterol: 109mg | Calories: 344kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fat: 18g | Protein: 37g | Carbohydrates: 8g | Iron: 2mg