Thai Gai Yang Chicken
This Thai grilled chicken recipe features a spicy lemongrass marinade. Use boneless chicken thighs and you can make this flavorful Asian BBQ in less than 45 minutes!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 6 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine sherry or sake
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Lime wedges
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Red Fresno or Jalapeño chile finely sliced
- Cilantro leaves
Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken to a Ziploc bag and pour in marinade. Massage to spread the marinade over all the chicken and marinate for 45 minutes tops.
Get grill to medium high (350°F). Remove chicken from the marinade and set aside.
Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side. Baste with marinade before turning. (SEE NOTES for grilling times).
Remove from grill and allow to rest for a few minutes before garnishing with sesame seeds, fresh chiles, cilantro and serve with lime wedges and steamed rice.
Cooking Times for Grilled Chicken
Chicken is considered safe to eat when the internal temperature at the thickest portion reaches 165°F. Because it continues to cook for a couple of minutes as it rests, you can remove it from the heat when the internal temp is 163°F.
Here are the approximate cooking times for chicken grilled at 350°F.
- Boneless thighs: Grill for 4 minutes per side, then check the internal temp.
- Bone-in thighs: Grill for 6 minutes per side, then check the internal temp.
- Boneless breasts: Grill for 5 minutes per side, then check the internal temp.
- Bone-in breasts: Grill for 7 minutes per side, then check the internal temp.
Sodium: 1154mg | Calcium: 50mg | Vitamin C: 4mg | Vitamin A: 479IU | Sugar: 15g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 584mg | Cholesterol: 222mg | Calories: 585kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Fat: 39g | Protein: 38g | Carbohydrates: 19g | Iron: 2mg