Moroccan Harira (Lentil Soup)
Harira is a popular Moroccan lentil soup served during Ramandan. Watch and learn how to make a richly seasoned tomato soup in just an hour!
Prep Time16 mins
Cook Time34 mins
Total Time50 mins
Keyword: lentil soup, Moroccan harira, Ramadan recipes
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (See Note 1)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 lb ground turkey (See Note 2)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15 oz tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 1 white onion (See Note 3)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger paste or 1 inch piece, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp saffron
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 lemons
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven add the olive oil and sauté the ground turkey and brown. Add the tomatoes, onion, chopped celery, ginger paste. Stir and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the herbs, spices, chicken broth, chickpeas and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook for 24 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid any sticking on bottom.
Serve with lemon wedges (optional) and top with some reserved chopped parsley and cilantro. Feel free to serve with warm bread, lavash or flat bread of choice.
- If using dried chickpeas you will need to plan ahead. Cover 3/4 cup chickpeas with water by 2 inches and soak overnight. Next day, cook per package instructions, drain and set aside. Otherwise use 15 oz canned, drained chickpeas.
- Feel free to substitute lamb, beef or chicken, diced instead of ground turkey.
- Grate the onion or process it to a thick pulp in a food processor.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 586mg | Potassium: 1062mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1320IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 5mg