Moroccan Harira (Lentil Soup)
Moroccan Harira is a healthy soup with ground turkey, legumes, and fresh herbs and African spices. Make this lentil soup for a Ramadan meal!
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (See Note 1)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 lb ground turkey (See Note 2)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 1 white onion (See Note 3)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste or 1 inch piece, minced
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish
- ¾ cup fresh chopped cilantro reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 lemons
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven add the olive oil and sauté the ground turkey and brown. Add the tomatoes, onion, chopped celery, ginger paste. Stir and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the herbs, spices, chicken broth, chickpeas and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook for 24 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid any sticking on bottom.
Serve with lemon wedges (optional) and top with some reserved chopped parsley and cilantro. Feel free to serve with warm bread, lavash or flat bread of choice.
- If using dried chickpeas you will need to plan ahead. Cover ¾ cup chickpeas with water by 2 inches and soak overnight. Next day, cook per package instructions, drain and set aside. Otherwise use 15 oz canned, drained chickpeas.
- Feel free to substitute lamb, beef or chicken, diced instead of ground turkey.
- Grate the onion or process it to a thick pulp in a food processor.
Sodium: 586mg | Calcium: 75mg | Vitamin C: 42mg | Vitamin A: 1320IU | Sugar: 8g | Fiber: 16g | Potassium: 1062mg | Cholesterol: 45mg | Calories: 381kcal | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 9g | Protein: 34g | Carbohydrates: 43g | Iron: 5mg