Egyptian Barley Salad
This Egyptian barley salad has pearl barley, pomegranate arils and a tangy herb vinaigrette. Make this recipe for a refreshing side dish!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 celery stalks diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice heaping
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 1 ½ cups pomegranate seeds (arils) (See Note 1)
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Rinse barley with cold water several times until water runs clear.
Transfer to saucepan filled with heavily salted water. Bring to a boil and turn to simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large salad bowl.
While barley is hot, add the dressing, toss to coat and mix thoroughly. Allow to cool at room temperature.
Add the celery, herbs and pomegranate seeds. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve room temperature or chilled if you prefer.
- You can either use the seeds from 2 pomegranates or purchase just the seeds. I find 4 or 8 oz containers from the brand Pom Pom in my market in the refrigerated vegetable/fruit section of the market. Purchase at least 2 for 1 ½ cups. Save remaining for other use.
- Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi.
Sodium: 306mg | Calcium: 40mg | Vitamin C: 12mg | Vitamin A: 423IU | Sugar: 9g | Fiber: 11g | Potassium: 350mg | Calories: 356kcal | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 15g | Protein: 6g | Carbohydrates: 52g | Iron: 2mg