Kawarma (Hummus with Lamb)
Kawarma is a delicious version of the classic chickpea dip. Tender, spiced ground meat with a zesty lemon herb sauce top creamy warm hummus!
- 1 lb ground lamb (or ground beef)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon zaatar spice (See Note 2)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Lemon Herb Sauce
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- ¼ cup pine nuts
Mix all of the Lamb Mixture ingredients in a bowl thoroughly by hand. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl mix together the Lemon Herb Sauce ingredients and set aside to marinate.
In a small pan lightly dry toast the pine nuts until golden brown and season with kosher salt. Set aside.
Using a large spoon scoop up some of the plain hummus and divide evenly over serving plates. Press down in center of hummus with spoon and rotate plate and spoon in opposite directions to swirl. Repeat with second hummus (Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus) if using, and top with cooked lamb mixture.
Spoon the lemon herb sauce on top and sprinkle the pine nuts and any reserved chickpeas (optional) for garnish. Serve with warm pita, pita chips or any Middle Eastern flatbread.
- This recipe (as pictured) uses 2 different hummus. You can make this with just 4 cups of plain hummus or 2 cups plain and 2 cups cilantro jalapeno hummus. To the hummus recipe: remove half from food processor and reserve. Add 1 bunch cilantro and 2 jalapeños (seeded) and puree with remaining hummus. Use both in this recipe (plain and green).
- Za’atar is a wonderful Middle Eastern spice blend found in most markets these days. I have my own recipe version (Lebanese Za’atar Spice Blend) or you can substitute oregano leaves.
Sodium: 869mg | Calcium: 75mg | Vitamin C: 10mg | Vitamin A: 360IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 8g | Potassium: 484mg | Cholesterol: 42mg | Calories: 416kcal | Saturated Fat: 8g | Fat: 29g | Protein: 20g | Carbohydrates: 22g | Iron: 5mg