Indian Chicken Curry (Murgh Kari)
My Indian chicken curry is filled with tender chicken, creamy coconut milk, and tons of yummy spices. It’s the ultimate comfort food!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 ½ cups red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 2 cups white potato peeled and cubed
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
Melt ghee in large skillet over medium heat and cook onion until almost translucent. Stir through garlic and ginger paste, cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and curry powder, stir and continue cooking for another minute.
Add coconut milk and cook for 3 minutes. Either keep sauce thick and chunky or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
Add chicken and potatoes, stir through and cover. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid, stir through green peas, fenugreek leaves and garam masala. Cook another few minutes, stirring to thicken sauce and reduce (See Note 1).
Season to taste and serve over optional steamed rice and plenty of naan or bread of choice to sop of delicious curry sauce.
- If curry sauce is too thin there are 2 things that can assist in thickening it. I stir the cooked potatoes that slightly start to break down and thicken the curry sauce or add 1 or 2 tablespoons of instant potatoes and stir through. It's certainly not a traditional technique, but one that works every time.
Sodium: 203mg | Calcium: 86mg | Vitamin C: 41mg | Vitamin A: 592IU | Sugar: 5g | Fiber: 6g | Potassium: 1437mg | Cholesterol: 241mg | Calories: 920kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Fat: 68g | Protein: 44g | Carbohydrates: 36g | Iron: 7mg