Garam Masala Recipe + Video
This authentic garam masala recipe makes a flavorful aromatic Indian spice blend. No need for store bought; just make this recipe at home!
Servings: 10 ounces
- ½ cup cumin seeds (or 10 tablespoon ground cumin)
- 3 tablespoon coriander seeds (or 11 ¼ teaspoon ground coriander)
- 2 tablespoon black peppercorns (or 9 teaspoon ground back pepper)
- 12 green cardamom pods (or 1 teaspoon ground green cardamom)
- 6 black cardamom pods (or ½ teaspoon ground black cardamom)
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 whole star anise
- 4 cassia cinnamon 3-inch sticks (or 8 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- ½ nutmeg seed (or 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
Toast all the spices EXCEPT ground mace in a cast iron skillet or other non stick pan over medium heat. Stir often and turn off the heat after spice gives off aromatic fragrance. Several minutes should do the trick. Don't burn!
Allow to cool and grind in spice/coffee grinder or blender along with the ground mace. Store in an airtight container.
Sodium: 5.5mg | Sugar: 0.2g | Fiber: 4.1g | Calories: 59kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Fat: 2.8g | Protein: 2.5g | Carbohydrates: 9.8g