Keema matar is a hearty stew with ground beef, peas, potatoes and spices in a rich tomato broth. Make this recipe for a classic keema curry!
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 large onion peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 green chile Serrano or Birds Eye
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef 85/15 or 80/20
- 1 ½ tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground fenugreek
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 14 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup baby peas frozen or canned
Peel and cut potatoes into ½-inch dice, set aside.
In a food processor, puree the onion, ginger paste, garlic and green chile until a paste forms.
In a deep skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef for 3-4 minutes. Add the onion puree, curry powder, Kashmiri chili powder, fenugreek and salt. Cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the potatoes, coconut milk and tomatoes. Turn heat to Low and cook, uncovered, for another 15-18 minutes, stirring often.
Before serving, stir in frozen peas and cover for 4 minutes. Taste and season if needed. Serve with steamed rice and bread or flatbread of choice.
Sodium: 482mg | Calcium: 108mg | Vitamin C: 49mg | Vitamin A: 493IU | Sugar: 10g | Fiber: 9g | Potassium: 1593mg | Cholesterol: 105mg | Calories: 610kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Fat: 33g | Protein: 44g | Carbohydrates: 37g | Iron: 9mg