Lebanese Fattoush Bread Salad
Lebanese fattoush is a refreshing salad made with fresh crunchy vegetables, a bright tangy dressing, and crisp toasted pita pieces.
- 1 head romaine lettuce cut into 1 inch ribbons
- 3 medium tomatoes Roma preferred cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 small cucumber Persian preferred peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1 inch strips
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula salad greens
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley rough chop
- 10 sprigs of mint leaves shredded
Cut or tear the pita into large pieces. Spread on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the broiler until crisp and browned, turning them over once. Set aside. When cool, break into smaller pieces.
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and sumac (See Note 1). Set aside.
Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix together. Pour salad dressing over salad, add toasted pita and toss to mix just before serving.
- I use an immersion blender to whip the dressing together.
- Adapted from Claudia Roden.
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2093IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg