Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Shrimp
My Mediterranean Couscous Salad is full of protein, fiber, and plenty of bright and zesty flavors. Enjoy this light all summer long!
- 2 cups Israeli Couscous (pearl couscous)
- 2 1/4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp cooked (See Note 1)
- 4 bell peppers half each red green, orange bell pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 15 oz black olives drained and pitted
- 1 zucchini large cubed
- 1/4 cup basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
In a medium-sized saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add olive oil and couscous, stir. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated and the couscous is tender. Fluff and set aside to cool.
While couscous steams, clean shrimp (See Note 1), chop vegetables and basil.
Over medium heat lightly toast the pine nuts in a small fry pan.
In a small bowl whisk together the dressing or add to a jar, seal and shake to mix.
In a large bowl add the cooled couscous, shrimp, chopped vegetables, pine nuts and salad dressing. Season to taste.
Cover and chill for at least one hour. Toss to mix before serving and drizzle with balsamic syrup and feta cheese (optional).
- If using raw shrimp: add 1 teaspoon kosher salt to 8 cups boiling water. Add the raw (thawed) shrimp. Turn heat off, stir and cook for 1 minute or until the shrimp turns pink. Transfer to ice bath (bowl with water and ice cubes) to stop cooking. Do not over cook shrimp!
Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1832mg | Potassium: 625mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3264IU | Vitamin C: 121mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 3mg