Toum (Lebanese Garlic Sauce)
This toum recipe makes a creamy spread to use on bread, as a dip or marinade. Make this delicious Lebanese garlic sauce with 4 ingredients!
Servings: 4 cups
Food Processor Method
Add the garlic and salt in the food processor and run for 10-20 seconds to purée.
Stop the processor and scrape down the sides, then process again until you have a fine paste.
NOTE: From this point forward, keep processor running until the sauce is finished. With food processor on, slowly pour in 1 cup oil. The garlic will begin to emulsify and turn into a paste. Next, slowly add in 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Wait a few seconds, until the lemon juice is well absorbed, then add another 1 cup of oil.Repeat this step, alternating with 1 cup oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice, until you’ve incorporate 3 cups of oil and 4 tablespoons lemon juice. This process will take 8-10 minutes.
The result should be a thick sauce, with a thick, creamy consistency (like mayonnaise). Transfer garlic sauce to an airtight jar and keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
Immersion Blend Method (my new favorite) Small Batch
Add the 9 or 10 cloves of garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/3 cup of the oil to jar or immersion blender container and run for 10-20 seconds to purée. Add remaining 2/3 cups oil and puree to emulsify completely (for a less mayonnaise type consistency, feel free to double the lemon juice). Finished product should resemble mayonnaise in texture.
- Some slice each clove and remove any green inner sprout which may give a bitter taste, optional.
- For a less mayonnaise type consistency, feel free to double the lemon juice.
- Used as a condiment for pita, wraps, sandwiches, spread onto grilled bread, place under the skin of chicken prior to roasting, etc.
- This recipe yields 4 cups. Halve the recipe if you don’t plan on using it as often.
- Nutritional information based on 64 tablespoons (1 tablespoon serving).
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 3mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg